Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Baking using Air Fryer

As I mentioned before, I've moved out for more than 3 months. I've the luxury/freedom to do what I want in my kitchen now. #oneofthebestthingsinlife 

Before I move out, I've all along been wanting to get a air fryer but thinking of how-I-will-get-it from my parents if I were to buy and bring it home. Okay nvm. 我忍!Not my house, so I got no say.

After I gotten my keys, sad to say, air fryer wasn't in the priority list because we were really broke after setting aside money for the renovation. Stuffs like television, air con and etc were of top most priority.

Just as I stop thinking about having a air fryer for the time being, I saw on forum there's one lady who's selling away her brand new airfryer as her hub wants to get a bigger one. I immediately 'chop' the airfryer and that weekend her hub and her delivered the airfryer to my new place :):)

I only used it few months after I had the airfryer because I have not moved in yet. 

When we did up our first home cooked meal in the new place, we tried whipping something out from the air fryer.We tried mainly frozen food to see how's the overall taste/texture of food that's cook by air fryer. 

We are not very picky eater and because food cook by air fryer are healthier type of food, I definitely choose air fryer over the conventional deep fryer. 

And then one fine day, I decide to start baking with air fryer. Basically, I'm just trying out without high hopes that I will succeed because it's the first time in my 26 years of life that I'm actually baking. 

The first thing I bake was the Molten Chocolate Lava Cake. It's actually Derp's and my favourite type of dessert. Best goes with vanilla ice cream :):) 

After seeing the recipe, it actually looks easy so I decide to give it a try. 


My first ever homemade Molten Chocolate Lava Cake.


Look how it oozes out after I break it apart :) 

It's a very sinful dessert and also super heaty! I can totally feel if I don't drink enough water, I can get sore throat the next moment. 

The recipe for Molten Chocolate Lava Cake : 

Ingredients: 

1) 100g Dark Chocolate (I used Hershey's Semi-Sweet)
2) 100g Unsalted Butter ( I think it works fine with salted butter but for healthier choice, I usually use unsalted butter)
3) 2 Eggs
4) 50g Castor Sugar
5) 20g Self-Rising Flour

Instructions: 

1) Melt chocolate and butter (I used the double boil method/old-school method to melt them. This will mean I added some water in a pot. Next, I placed the chocolate and butter in a bowl and then I placed the bowl inside the pot. Turned on the gas stove and wait for it to melt) 
2) Beat the eggs and sugar together.
3) Slowly add the melted chocolate and butter into it. 
4) Pour into ramekins till 3/4 full.(I used the silicon cups from daiso to contain it) 
5) AF for 5 minutes at 180/160 degrees. 

I uses normal plain flour instead of self rising flour which is definitely the wrong way! hahaha! 

Hence, you see the cake part is very little compare to the melted chocolate. It's like eating melted chocolate with a thin crust outside. 

Few days later, I went on to try nutella cup cakes. Which turn out to be a failure too because I didn't use self rising flour! :( 


It tasted more like kueh rather than cake though it's edible. lol.

So that weekend, I went to get self rising flour and try it again :) Never give up! 

Hereby presenting to you, Cheese Butter Muffin with Chocolate Chips


The shape looks odd but trust me, it tasted really good! The muffin holder I was using was too soft  to hold the mixture. The muffin started to grow out of shape when it's cooking. I can't find a better muffin/cupcake holder around the neighbourhood so I just make do with what I can find. 


The chocolate which was melted inside :) Yummy! 


I made many muffins (around 20)  that day and brought half of it home for my family to eat  during the long weekends. 

The recipe for Cheese Butter Muffin with Chocolate Chips:

Ingredients: 

1) Ingredient A: 125g Butter, 8 slices of Cheddar Cheese
2) Ingredient B: 2 large eggs, 125ml Milk
3) Ingredient C: 225g Self Rising Flour, 175g Castor Sugar 

Instructions:

1) Melt A together and leave it aside to cool. (I used the double-boil method as mentioned in the recipe for molten chocolate lave cake.) 
2) Mix B together
3) Mix A and B together
4) Pour A and B to C. Mix well. I added in chocolate chips to the mixture before pouring to individual muffin holder. 
5) AF 160 degrees for 15 minutes. 

I also made Nutella muffins whereby the recipe is even simpler and require lesser stuffs. 


Recipe for Nutella Muffins

Ingredients: 

1) 180g Self Rising Flour
2) 2 Eggs
3) 3 Big Spoons of Nutella.

Instructions: 

1) Add the above ingredients together and mix well.
2) If the mixture is too thick, you can add some milk
3) AF 160 degrees 10-15 minutes.

Base on my personal experience, the mixture is really thick without any butter even though I've added in milk. The result of the Nutella Cupcakes were, they were dry and hard. Perhaps, I should try adding in butter the next time round.

My other bakes lately..


I cut down the quantity and made this for breakfast. Can last us for 2 days! haha!  I also improvised the recipe in the way I skipped the cheese and just make do with butter. Taste as good too. 


Home made muffins with Oreo 


Same recipe as the butter muffin. Basically, you can modify and add in whatever you like to be in your muffin. As you can see, at one time, my Air Fryer can only bake 4 muffins at a time. 


Chocolate Butter Muffins. 

It's a pity I added in too much coca powder that day. I was too generous haha! I'll try it again the next time round with lesser coca powder. The mixture is better than Nutella cupcake as the mixture for Nutella Cupcake is too thick. It's not easy to let it 'grow'. Nutella cupcakes doesn't taste as fluffy. I'll probably make do with cocoa powder instead. 



Blueberry Muffins


Looks really good right? :) Okay la, I think I added in too much blue berries again haha! 

I'm not going into details the recipe for each because I used the same recipe as Cheese Butter Muffins

Last but not least, German Cookies. This tasted much like the 'sugi' we eat during CNY. It melts in your mouth and I'm so going to make it for CNY next year. *yay! can save money on CNY goodies* lol.


We made quite a lot for our house warming not long ago and it was well-liked by people of all ages. :):)

Recipe for German Cookies

Ingredients:

1) 125g Butter (Do not melt!) 
2) 125g Potato Starch
3) 80g Plain Flour
4) 80g Icing Sugar ( I only used around 50g)

Instructions: 

1) Beat butter and icing sugar till light and fluffy
2) Add starch and flour into batter
3) Mix well and then roll them into balls. 
4) Press them lightly with fork/any design you like
5) AF 160 degress 15-20 minutes. 

The recipe for German Cookies is really simple and easy. It's pretty tedious when doing the shape and stuff like that but it can be a great bonding session with your kids/love ones. Do engaged them to join in the fun to make the yummy German Cookies.

FYI, I'm using the normal size of Air fryer, and the brand is Mayer. I'm not very sure about the model number though :) So far so good! Anyway, I got at a very reasonable price so I'm in no position to be picky about as long as it does what other normal air fryer do, I'm good!

I've still got lots of stuff to try on my AF and still in the midst of trying out. The downside to it is, I cannot bake lots of muffins/cookies at one shot because it's really not big enough. A oven will definitely be better if we compared the baking ability to that of a AF.

But anyway, since there's only 2 of us in the house, it's good enough for now. We do have plans of getting a oven in the near future. hehe.

That's all for my recipe sharing of baking using air fryer. I'll defintely update again if I try and succeed in new invention hehe!

8 comments :

  1. I own a Philips AirFryer and use it often to enjoy French Fries, Fried Plantains, Chicken Wings, Chicken Fried Steak, Homemade Sweet Potato Tater Tots, you name it! IT'S AMAZING! Everybody should have one! Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bakes looks delicious so much. Baking using Air Fryer, that's great.
    I also an air fryer, so i will try this recipe on this weekend.
    I hope i can made bakes as i liked

    ReplyDelete
  3. gonna try the molten lava cake and the nutella this weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi babe for the choco lava cake... when to put the flour?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi babe! Pardon for the late reply, you can add in the self rising flour when you beat the egg and sugar :)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:47 PM

    That looks delicious, I cannot wait to try this when I get home, I just got the new air fryer, and its the best air fryer on the market :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.Great recipe without using oil.thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used the Philips xl airfryer.. I use it to fry salmon and also to bake cheesecakes.. It's a wonderful innovation. Thanks for your recipe. Will try soon

    ReplyDelete