Monday, February 09, 2015

CNY Snacks done using Airfryer

I blogged about baking using airfryer last year and now I'm back to blog about doing up chinese new year snacks using air fryer! 

With CNY around the corner, I decide to share some of the recipes for  CNY snacks I've made using air fryer. Lately, I've been kept really busy because of that as I'm experimenting and trying out. There's so many CNY snacks that can be done using airfryer (that includes pineapple tart) but I only choose the easier ones to try. 

For those who have airfryer at home, I will highly recommend you to do some of the simple snacks for yourselves because the cost price is really really low and nothing beats homemade food right? :) 

Hereby presenting to you some of the CNY Snacks which I've made so far and will continue to make them in larger quantity this weekend as CNY is just next week! 

1) Crabstick Snack




This is really addictive and easy to make :) 

Recipe for Crabstick Snack

1) Leave the frozen crabstick (I uses Do Do brand crabstick) in room temperature to thaw for 10-20 minutes 
2) I uses my hand to peel the crab stick slice by slice ( like how you usually peel your 九成糕/Kueh Lapis) and I placed it in a metal plate which fits just nice into my air fryer.
3) When I'm done peeling them, I placed the whole metal plate in my airfryer and set the temperature to 180 degrees, 10 minutes. 
4) Pull out your air fryer every 3 minutes to stir it. At first it will seems like they are sticking to each other but as they are getting more and more cooked, they will separate out by themselves. 
5) Feel free to leave it more than 10 minutes so as to achieve a crispier taste. I usually leave it for another 5-10 minutes depending on how dark they become. 

2) German Cookies (which tasted very similar to sugee, just 1 ingredient different from the original sugee sold as CNY goodie) 


I've posted the recipe for this before and they can be found here.

3) Spicy Prawn Roll 


Before entering the airfryer...


The final product 

Recipe for Spicy Prawn Roll

1) Thaw the spring roll skin for 45 mins - 1 hour
2) Cut the spring roll skin into 4 pieces
3) Placed a small quantity of the hei bi hiam (spicy dried shrimp sauce) in the middle of the spring roll skin.
4) Wrap it up (you can actually google how to wrap spring roll, it's not that difficult)
5) Sealed it with plain water will do.
6) Placed it in my metal plate again. When I made enough, I'll place it in the airfryer for 180 degrees, 10 minutes. I will stir it every 4-5 minutes to check it.

Side note, I uses the hei bi hiam bought by my coli from a wet market near his place. That's because it's one of the nicer and spicest hei bi hiam I've ever come across.

And below is the spring roll skin that I used. It can be found in NTUC.


Since I've lots of left over spring roll skin, I decide to make another CNY snack which is the Seaweed Cracker. Can't believe that it's being sold for more than $10/container when the cost price is probably 3 bucks.

4) Tomyum Seaweed Cracker


These are all the ingredients needed for this snack. 

Recipe for Tom Yum Seaweed Cracker

1) Thaw the spring roll skin for 45 mins - 1 hour
2) Prepare the 'glue' to stick the seaweed and spring roll skin together. The 'glue' is simple plain flour mix with water
3) I uses Tao Kay Noi seaweed as they comes in many flavors like tom yum, hot and spicy and etc. Definitely taste better than the normal plain seaweed. :) Give it a try, you will not regret it! 
4) I will 'measure' the poh piah skin according to 1 piece of Tao Kay Noi sea weed and cut it accordingly.
5) Apply the 'glue' which is prepared earlier on to the poh piah skin and then stick the tao kay neo onto it.
6) After which, cut it up to smaller pieces or to your desirable size. 
7) I placed all the pieces into my metal plate and then place it into the air fryer. Temperature 180 degrees, 10 minutes. As usual, I will pull out the air fryer and check/stir every 3-4 minutes

A side note: some of them may not stick together but they are all edible and yummy! I've kept it in those cny container for more than a week and it's still very crispy. :)


The final product

That's all for the CNY snacks I've tried making using air fryer up till date. It's the final week before CNY, I'm going to make them again for my guests and also friends/family.

A very busy CNY indeed but it's all worth it seeing them enjoy the food that you've made :)

1 comment :

  1. Good recipes. I like Crabstick Snack also my husband. So I cook Crabstick Snack per week by using good air fryer. Thank you for sharing these recipe tips. Have another recipe?
    I want for my husband.

    ReplyDelete