Monday, March 23, 2015

Remembering Mr Lee Kuan Yew

 

I was only Primary Six when my mum bought this book for me. I've totally no idea why she got it for me (perhaps I bug her too many times) but I told her I just want to have it. Till date, it's still one of the precious books around though the pages have all turned yellow.

I may not be born in the era which he was governing but to be living in the era which is enjoying his and his team of comrades who fought hard for our fruits of labour.

To be honest, I don't really know who he was when I was young and only came across him in our history textbooks. It was a compulsory subject being taught in school and topics covered were the keypoints of merger and separation, implementation of NS, HDB and etc. Basically all the basics you need to know about Singapore are being taught. I'm glad I did pretty well back then and history was one of my favorite subjects.

But how many of these points did we ever give a deep thought to it? For most of us, it was just touch and go. We just want to pass our exams and that's all. How many of us really go in depth to understand the reasons behing all this policies which were implemented and etc.

In my final year in a local uni, we have to take his particular compulsory module which talk about Singapore history (yes again). We are all wondering why is it again?

There was a assignment (which determines 50% of your grade) which we have to split up in to teams and present a topic. A in depth presentation which is not about copying and pasting word by word into powerpoint slide for sure and simply reading out what's on your slide.

The topic which my team and I chose were Merger and Separation,. We felt that it's a very broad topic and we can have lots to talk about for our presentation. But this means more work has to be done. We spent our break time heading to the library and started finding books for referencing.

And that'ts when I took out the book from my mum, flipped through it and found some referencing points for the topic.

I was tasked to talk about what lead to separation. In fact, all the riots/elections/reasons behind, I'm proud to say I know it on the back of my hand even up till date.

We did well for the presentation because we covered all the main points with referencing backing us up. There was no bias and everything was based on pure facts which we could find. From the presentation, our fellow classmates got to learned what Mr Lee has done for us. Not only our presentation, but the other presentations by others too.

In the past, we may be too young and ignorant to know about all this but not now. I can totally understand the reason why we have to take the module. I can never forget our exam falls on the 2011 election day. It was our first time voting too! We finished our paper and quickly rushed off to vote. Everyone took it so seriously even though we were just 22 at that time.

With the election news going on on TV, it was very hard for us to study because all of us were so into it. The results and everything. Hence I realised, this module being taught again during uni was no longer a touch and go kind of stuff. It's one which we kept in out heart all the things our founding father, Mr Lee has done for us.



50 years ago, he cried for the nation. Thank you for everything you have done.

My dear parents have always told me how they are able to take their first HDB flat even by earning 100 buck or less a month. How they have moved out from their kampung kind of house to a hdb, to starting a family even with low income and just a PSLE cert back then.

Everything was made possible and affordable for them. Without them, I will not be here today.

Other than being the one who gave his whole life to Singapore, his love story/marriage life with Mrs Lee was really inspiring and heart warming!

Some of my favorite photos of them together...





Their strong love and marriage is one which everyone should learn from especially the young generation.

You can read their love story here. 

I hardly write about any politics stuff on my blog but today, I just want to show my greatest gratitude to our founding father, Mr Lee Kwan Yee. Thank you for everything you have done and I'm proud to call myself a Singaporean. May you be reunited with Mrs Lee.. 一路走好 #rememberingleekwanyee #riplky 

No comments :

Post a Comment