Friday, October 03, 2014

Last Quarter of 2014!

Hello October! 2 days of Non-working weekdays make me look forward to the arrival of this month. 

With that, we have stepped into the last quarter of 2014.

This would also meant I've moved out and lived by myself for quite a period of time. I'm having mixed feelings whenever I think about it. It's not as if I'm overjoyed that I moved out nor emotional because to me it was more of a growing up process. 

It's part and parcel of life and to be honest, a huge part of me yearn to move out when I was young. But when it really happened, my feelings were complicated! Financial freedom was the first thing I wished to achieve follow by living by myself.

Alright let me list down the lists of pros and cons I encounter after I shift out, 

The Pros:

1) You can do laundry at the weirdest hour of the day without getting nagged. For example, in the wee hours of the quiet night like 12am. 

I used to get nag at to go bathe early so my mum can dump the clothes into washing machine altogether. You know there's this 'follow routine' thingy going on in almost every household, I understand that and I just follow suite for the past many years. Basically, now that I've moved out, I set my own rules and I live with it. 

2) You can have the whole kitchen to yourself! This is one of the greatest thing that ever happened to me. I've once heard about this saying which goes like this '每个厨房都有自己的主人

I came to understand why especially during these few years, On and off, when I want to whip something out by myself, my mum is pretty unhappy about it. 

Derp has to constantly remind me 'don't forget this house is not yours'  Okay la, I can't say she did say out she's unhappy straight in my face, but through her actions I can tell she's not really happy and most of the time we can get into a argument easily. The argument arises over the smallest thing that could ever happen whenever I want to cook. And it's not as if I didn't clean up. Sigh. 

Oh well, it's her kitchen and what can I say right? :) now I have my own kitchen, of cause I don't like people to mess with my kitchen and I like to keep my stove really clean. #OCD 

People who know me for long didn't know I can be so domestic but seriously, I ta han very long already! 

Now, I'm able to cook all I want!  I'm sick of the days standing in the middle of the foodcourt thinking what to eat. Sometimes, I do really hope our brain is program with a menu in our brain and we just follow!

I had aimed to cook once/twice a week and am still keeping up to it. :) Derp literally pour a bucket of cold water on my head when I first told him I'm going cook. But as time goes by, he start to trust me and he will just do his stuff until dinner is ready. 

On and off he will still help me if I request, if not he will be busy with his own stuff. At the very least, I'm glad he helps to do the washing even though he has been making noise over it. Hahaha! 

3) You can online shop for all you want without getting nag. Lol! I think I'm clear enough and there's not a need for me to go into details. Basically not only online shop, everything you want to get, no one's gonna stop you. Even if there's no space, it's your house so you do what you want. 

4) The joy and peace of couplehood. I never really understood what's the meaning of it even though Derp and I have been staying together for the past 4 years or so, and in the past it was not only about staying with me but also with my family too. It wasn't really couplehood. 

It's really different now and to be honest, I think we are really happy about it. At first I'm not really used to the empty house, but now I kind of enjoyed it. 

There's times whereby I will be in the living room, surfing the net with the laptop on my lap and watching tv, while he's in the study room doing his stuff.  If not, I will be reading my book on bed and fall asleep without knowing. But he's in the study room using the computer or ironing his clothes. That's how our typical weekends are.

In the past, we were cope up in a single room and we have to try really hard to accommodate and compromise. For example, if I'm taking a nap, he have to use earpiece to watch whatever he's watching on his laptop. And I have to sleep with lights on. 

Now I can get undisturbed sleep :) 

If I were to sum up the pros of living by yourself, it's simply FREEDOM

After having said so much, there's bound to be cons but all these require time to slowly adjust and get used to it.

1) We were used to not worrying about breakfast because my parents will buy extra bread for us to bring to work in the past. Now if either one of us totally forget about it, we will just go canteen to grab our breakfast. Not a big problem but I'm usually the one to bear in mind to buy bread for tomorrow before heading home. 

2) You spend much more time cleaning your own house. In the past, I only care about packing my own room like one month once? Now it's about packing of a whole house and we try to do it weekly or before guests arrive.

And if you don't clean it, who will? I have very sensitive legs and I can feel whether the floor is clean or dusty. If it is dusty, I will probably go do something to it. I'm not a super hygiene person, but I've a certain tolerance level. As for Derp, he can't really feel it so I'm the sensitive one lol. 

More time are dedicated to doing household chores. And our weekend passes by really quickly with all these things needed to be done. The next moment you know, it's Monday -_-". 

3) I feel that I'm closer with my parents ever since I shifted out. We used to have so much friction in the past but not now. Perhaps we don't see each other everyday hence the lesser the friction.

They have been really sweet to me and if they know I'm going home, they will try to cook dinner for me. In the past when I'm still there, they will ask me to go ta bao myself hahaha! 

Some days I stay over, some days I do not but even if it's that few hours, it's the thoughts that counts 
I made the effort to bring them out for dinner at least once a month. Just 2 weeks back, we went to Tim ho wan! After which, we sat down at the basement and shared one yoghurt ice cream.

Me sitting in between my mum and dad, although we may not be talking but simply looking at people walk pass, I can feel this kind of simple happiness! 

We went to look at some stuff at Isetan before my dad ask me to faster go home to accompany Derp haha! 

Taught my dad how to take photo and send to me over Whatsapp and he also learned how to viewthe photos I send to him via whatsapp. 


 A photo with mum taken by my dad during the dinner session at Tim Ho Wan.

A picture speaks a thousand words. I will send a selfie of me after a run to my dad and he will showed mum hahaha! But very often, I send them the food I cook :) 


Dad sent me the dinner he cooked the other day and I send him a selfie of us in the haze masks haha! 
Seems like I have to teach my dad how to reply my whatsapp mesaages soon. It takes time to teach the folks and they don't learn new technology as fast as we do.

But I'm glad enough that I'm communicating with them via whatsapp nowadays even if it's simply sending photos.

Year end is coming really soon. Lots of festive seasons coming up and it's time to celebrate the end of yet another year. :) 

No comments :

Post a Comment