Tuesday, October 21, 2014

My Humble Yoga Journey

I'm taking some time out to update my yoga progress. My first ever yoga blog entry was at the beginning of September. 

Unknowingly, I've already completed 12 lessons of yoga and started on a new term a week ago. Time really flies without one realizing! 

Yay to a new term and this would means I've survived 12 lessons. #achievenmentunlocked 

I'm glad I never give up and diligently attend every lesson though I skip one lesson because I was really sick then.  

The last few weeks of lessons were more intensive and we were required to do more than 10 sets of sun salutation poses. Some days, our instructor require us to do it fast and on the others, we have to hold each poses for few minutes. I bet I will never forget what's sun salutation is for the rest of my life.  

On the very last lesson of the term, she made us sweat a bucket before making us do Acro Yoga. It looks really scary when she demo it with another student. But all of us know we had to do it. No escaping! 

Daphne and I partner together to get it done. After so many weeks of having lessons together, I think we have the mutual trust in each other. :) We helped each other during warm up stretches before, so I guess us doing Acro Yoga together shouldn't have much of a problem even though she's really tall! 

"We fell, we laughed about it but we never give up. Eventually we succeeded :)"

This pose may seems really difficult but it's actually not that difficult! All it requires is arm strength and also leg stregth. We modified and do the easier way out which is to hold on to each other shoulders instead on palms to palms. When we first started doing, I was quite scare and Daphne was also scare. 

So we fail quite a few time before finally getting it. Need to some sort get into the momentum and eventually we succeeded.  

Daphne can straighten her legs but my arms are too short hence she cannot raise me higher lol. 


My turn to lift her up :) She's so slim so it's definitely not a problem for me hehe! 

My legs are almost straighten as compared to last time when I haven't even start doing yoga. 

Hamstrings are looser now but still quite tight. It takes time! 


Another Acro Yoga pose. 

It's more scary if you are the one on top haha! Daphne is very flexible by default hence asking her to do the backbend is as easy as abc. Btw, that's our instructor helping us out and correcting us.

The last lesson incorporated Acro Yoga into it. It's really fun and I came home asking Derp to do it too lol! 

Some other poses which I've attempted lately..


The crow pose which I mentioned in my first yoga blog entry, I've finally succeeded! Though it may be just that few seconds of lifting both legs up, it's a good start! 

I've still got lots to work on especially on my core muscles. No problems lifting my right legs up because my right arm is the strong on. It takes time for the left leg to be up on the left arm. 


One of my favourite poses after a run each time: Eka Pada Supta Virasana / One Leg Reclining Hero Pose 

My instructor told us this is one of the best pose for stretching your thighs after a run. I've been doing that after every run since then. When I first attempted this pose, I can't lie flat on my back at all and I will use my elbow to support then. Now I can lie all the way back :) But I've yet to try this pose when both legs are curl in. 


Baddha Ardha Matsyendrasana / Bound Half Lord of the Fish Pose

This pose stretches out the spine and shoulders. It  reduce fatigue and increase energy. It was my first attempt that day and I manage to go into a bind. 


Ustrasana / Camel Pose

The 'arc' is very important in this pose, and often people aim to touch their foot and forgot to keep the arc. It's normal if one can't touches their feet at first. This pose strengthen the back muscles and I'm pretty bad at back bend, so there's much to improve on!

The yoga journey for me has just started and I can't wait to fill up this space with more of such photos. I've never regret taking yoga because it gives me a new sense of satisfaction and I can feel it helps in improving my running :) I strongly believe when your muscles are stretch, you perform better.

That's all for now, till then!

No comments :

Post a Comment