Tuesday, September 24, 2013

When you walk, don't smoke. When you smokes, don't walk.

As the title say "When you walk, don't smoke". Sounds simple isn't it? But I've met with tons of people who just loves to walk and smoke.

Whenever I go down for my routine jog, I'll bound to meet people who smoke as they walk. Seriously, I can only use "wtf" to describe. That is what's going on in my brain at that point of time. Almost every evening run, I'll meet smokers. I'll have my ways to tackle them like always

There are 3 types of smokers:

1) Smokers who stand at the bus stop and smoke - Stationary smokers aka least harmful smokers. At least the 2nd hand smoke don't go around passing to whole world or in my case whole Jurong.

2) Smokers who walk towards you. He/she belong to the middle range of harmful smokers. You will just need to hold your breadth for another 50M after passing the smoker. 

3) The most most most bastard type of smokers are those walking in front of you and you're just so 'heng' to be behind. So probably you'll suck in all the 2nd hand smoke unless you overtake him/her. Most harmful type of smokers around who don't give a shit about their surrounding/environment and just keep SMOKING! Their slogan should be "Just keep smoking!"





At first, I do thought it's legal to walk and smoke as long they are not indoors, I can only blame myself for choosing to jog at a place with so many smokers. BUT NO IT'S NOT! IT'S ILLEGAL!

Adapted from NEA website as below: 

List Of New Smoke Free Areas Included in the Smoking (Prohibition in Certain Places) Act (updated as at 15 January 2013)

Residential Estates
All common areas including:
Linkways from bus stops to residential blocks
Void decks
Corridors
Staircases
Stairwells
Multi-purpose halls

Public Spaces:
Covered walkways and linkways
All pedestrian bridges
5 metres from the edge of bus stops
Hospital outdoor compounds


Let's see the keyword here, 5 Metres from the edge of Bus stop! I passed by 2 bus stops each time during my routine jogs, I still can meet people who smoke like free. As long they get out from the lift and walk to the bus stop, they smokes. 

Can they just be a little more considerate?? What if you're just happily smoking and totally unaware of who's behind you sucking all the 2nd hand smoke and the particular someone is a pregnant lady? or a young child/elderly? 

At least when I'm jogging, I can overtake or siam the 2nd-hand smoke in the shortest possible time(While holding my breadth and jog at same time, trust me it takes me sometime to train), but for those who can't move fast due to their body condition, they'll probably be sucking in everything. Yet, smokers always give the "I don't give a shit face" when that happens. 


I'm not in anyway against people who smokes, I just wish to bring out this message " When you walk, don't smoke. When you smoke, don't walk", as simple as that. Be more considerate! 

Nobody is forcing you to cherish your life more, but at least you shouldn't be or don't have the rights to take away few years of others. But nonetheless, it's never too late to quit smoking :)

No comments :

Post a Comment