Friday, October 11, 2013

Cervical Cancer Vaccine

"Cervical cancer is the 9th most common cancer in Singaporean women. It can be effectively treated if it is detected early. The best protection against cervical cancer is to go for regular Pap smear once every three years. You can also speak to your doctor about HPV vaccination to determine if you are suitable."

What is cervical cancer?
  • Cervical cancer is the cancer of the neck of the womb which is called cervix.
  • Some types of Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) can infect the cervix, causing the cells to change.
  • In about 90% of the infection cases, the virus clears by itself and the cells return to normal.
  • In some cases, the infection can persist and cause the cells to grow in an abnormal way, developing into cervical cancer.
  • Specifically, HPV types 18 and 18 causes about 70% of the cervical cancer cases worldwide.

I started my first does of cervical vaccine way back in March 2012 and completed it in October 2012.


What struck me back then to take up the cervical vaccine was actually quite random. My company appointed a list of clinics which is under Shenton Insurance, so we got to go this various private clinic for a subsidized rate whenever we fall sick.While waiting for my turn to see the doctor, I was there staring at the cervical vaccine poster.

I clearly remembered the keywords "Can be fully paid my medisave", "Consult your doctor for more information".

I took the brochure and read through while waiting .

I can't remember what illness I had that time, but most probably the usual flu/cough/fever.When the doctor has done writing down all the medicine prescription for me, I popped him the question on cervical vaccine.

He promised me that the needle is not thick, that's probably my no.1 concern. He even took out a sample dosage to show me that it's actually that small. Nothing scary/pain as compared to taking blood test.

He also told me that I can use my medisave to pay the full costs of it, and I only need to pay the administration fee which is $10 bucks or less. I can't really remember but it's really affordable since the rest of it was paid using medisave.

I've heard of cervical cancer quite a while ago because I had a aunt who had her womb removed due to cervical cancer, But thank god, she already have three kids. I didn't really think much back then because I've the thinking that I'm still a student and it's not going to be cheap.

Since I've started working and starting seeing $$ in my medisave, why not? Afterall, medisave are meant to be used for such purposes, you can't cash them out when you are old either. The only side effects I had were my left arm felt really numb and sour after each dosage. But all these will wear off after a day or 2. :)

However, a person who have gotten vaccine would need to have to get their pap smear done too every 3 years because pap smear is the best way against cervical cancer. For those who have gave birth, it's advisable to get their pap smear done every year or so.

For more information on Cervical Cancer Vaccine, you may visit the HPB website or click here for more information.

 I'm glad to have gotten my vaccine before I turned 24. The optimal age is between 9-26 years old. Do get yourself vaccine today! It's never too late :)

No comments :

Post a Comment