Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Feeling nostalgic...

Having being traveled to various countries, there are just some places which I would don't mind visiting it again in the near future. 

I've started planning my Bangkok trip itinerary and am looking really forward to it. This time it's not only a shopping trip, but it will be s a relaxing trip with lots of good food waiting for us. I can't wait to explore the different parts of Bangkok and I'm  not going to miss out on any nice places this time round. 

Nearly a year ago, Esther and me went for an impromptu trip to Kuala Lumpur. Yea, you may wonder of all places, Kuala Lumpur. During this trip, we made lots of unexpected discoveries. 

One of which will be we walked from our hotel to Petaling Street aka Chinatown, one of the popular night markets in Kuala Lumpur. Having to say that, that wasn't part of our itinerary but we decide to just explore our way there. Thanks to the friendly and helpful hotel staff who gave us a map and draw the way for us. The walk to Petaling Street took us around 10-15 minutes.

The items and food sold at Petaling Street are of affordable price. The stuff there were pretty similar to Bangkok's Pratunam, you can mainly find lots of polo tee and tiff & co inspired accessories. The food were very much to our liking. 

I don't think I did any justice to them in my KL travelogue entry, so here I am, writing about them again. 


The claypot rice which was cooked to almost perfection, or at least to me it was perfect, has been lingering around my tastebud for the longest possible time. 

When Jurong Point opened Malaysia Boleh, I'm glad to come across the same claypot rice which is being sold at Petaling street, but at a much higher price. The sauce, the rice and the meat is just perfect. I do hate those claypot rice with sauce that tastes so-so. I've always felt that the most important taste in a claypot rice is the sauce. The sauce does wonder! 


The stall which sells the mouth-watering claypot rice at Petaling Street


The night which we enjoyed our claypot rice and lok lok by the road side, it's probably once in a life time experience. I've been searching for lok lok to eat in Singapore, but I've doubts on the quality of lok lok in Singapore, not forgetting that it's much more expensive. Hence, till date, I've not tried any lok lok ever since I'm back from KL. I'm missing the one I had in Petaling Street.

If you've no idea what's lok lok, it's actually a wide range of food, served in the form of satay sticks. You can choose to have your food BBQ-ed or have it in your steamboat. I'm spoiled for choices because everything seems so nice and it's cheap!

The food we chose to bbq/fried that night. 


There are many lok-lok stalls in Petaling but we settled for the one next to the claypot rice. It seems to be a popular choice there. :) So you can have both lok-lok and claypot rice at the same time. 


We spotted this massage palour just beneath our hotel and decided to give it a try. Knowing cantonese doesn't only benefit you in Hong Kong, but also KL. The price and skill are definitely not comparable with the massage palour in BKK, but after a long day of walking, whatever massage you had is beneficial to your tiring legs.  

Though the KL trip lasted for 3 days 2 nights, but it's good enough for a short getaway. 

Batam has been 1 of my top place to visit for a really short 2 day 1 night type of getaway. I'm really familar with that area because I've been there for 3 times. Twice I stayed in Harris Resort, and once in Golden View hotel which is just nice to the seafood restaurant.

I've tried before the massage and also the spa in Batam before. The massage was really affordable, 1.5 hours of body scrub and 1.5 hours of body massage for only 25 sgd. The spa was on the high end side but it was once in a life time experience. I totally don't feel like getting up after the soaking session. 

Not forgetting A&W which can be easily found in Nagoya Shopping Mall. The pizza there is affordable too, hence I would make it a point to have packed back pizza from the shopping mall and enjoy it with some beer. Oh forget to mention, the supermarket there is heavenly~  


Can't help but to pose with the pizza and pardon for the unglam me at that time. That photo was taken way back in 2011 if I did not remember wrongly. 

Why do I say that their supermarket is heavenly? That's because they've got my favourite seaweed flavoured potato chips. I can have them all by myself but sadly, they only sell the normal size packet nowadays. They no longer produce big packet of my seaweed lays. :( 

They have other daily necessities too so do remember to grab back all the cheap shampoo, soap and whatever you think it's cheap there! I love their snacks the most :) 


Last but not least, Hong Kong. I do miss the feeling of drinking warm bubble tea at night when the temperature was probably 10 degrees. Having simple breakfast or porridges for meal seems to be a really shiok thing to do in that kind of weather, you probably sweat a bucket if you eat in Singapore on a hot humid day but yet you have the craving for it. 


Other than the food there, I've also find out near there's this place which sells cheap sports apparels in Mong Kok. That got me all hyped up! I've the urge to go back there next year end( to enjoy the cold weather and have hot food) if budget and time allows.

I seriously missed the food in Hong Kong. I personally preferred the food there over Taiwan's food. I know I'm weird, but that's because Taiwan's food is all fried/sweet. I don't really feel like indulging more into it once I had enough. The thought of it make me feel full.


Ending off with this photo taken on the plane back to Singapore from Hong Kong. No photos of me because  I look horrible then. 

Thanks for reading my humble travelogue, I just mainly did a summary of everything because I miss all these places so much. I promise I'll do a extensive travelogue of my upcoming BKK trip. Stay tuned!

No comments :

Post a Comment