Sunday, December 29, 2013

Osaka Ohsho @ Westgate

Derp and I went to the newly opened Westgate for our Friday date night a few weeks back. It was during the week it first opened, hence we expected a massive crowd.

I reached there first and starting exploring Westgate on my own. Our original plan was to have Sushi Express, but the queue was just too long, so were the other eateries. I couldn't really decide on what to eat, so I waited for Derp to arrive before we make a decision together. 

As I was walking around in the mall, I spotted Paul Bakery. They had opened a cafe/restaurant in Westgate. They are known to have pretty good tarts and Derp loves them. I would love to go there one day to have their tarts and coffee though it's not cheap at all. I also spotted Four Fingers the moment I stepped into Westgate. It is not opened yet, but I'll be waiting patiently for it :)

There were lots of Japanese restaurants in Westgate. We settled our dinner at Osaka Ohsho since the queue wasn't as bad as the other restaurants. Osaka Ohsho is famous for their gyoza, and I was tempted to try them. 





They were having this 2 dollars off promo for their set meals which makes dining there an even more sensible choice at that moment. 


With this gigantic gyoza outside their restaurant, it's pretty obvious what their signature dish is. 


Their menu. And you would have realized most of their set meals come with gyozas! 




Lots of pretty artificial food on display outside the restaurant. 



They actually have the queue number system which will send you a SMS when your number is reaching soon. In the meantime, you can walk around first while waiting.  


I only took the number for fun, because at the end, I still need to queue up. The queue ain't that long and the staffs weren't asking people to get the queue number too, so I guess they haven't started using the system yet at that time.

The staff gave us an order form to tick the food we wanted. We handed in the form when we finally got our seat. And never did I know, there's actually an iPad menu at each of their tables :)




I ordered the Chicken Karaage Set. You won't believe this whole set costs only $10.90! It's totally worth it and the portion is damn huge! The chicken karaage meat was really crispy and juicy. 


I would have expect probably 2 piece of gyoza but nope, they gave you 6 pieces for every set meal you ordered! That's whopping a lot! 

Before tucking in to a super filling dinner. :)

 And no doubt, both of us didn't finish everything. We should have shared a set meal together. 


For our side dish, we ordered the meatballs which they kept advertising. And since there was the $2 off promo for these meatballs, why not? We didn't finish the meatballs and we felt that the meatballs were only so-so. 
Nothing really special about it and it's too much for 2 person. We got sick of it after like 2 meatballs per person. We still very much prefer the IKEA meatballs. 

Derp ordered the ramen set. It costs $11.90. 

I did try a spoonful, the noodles were not bad and the soup was lightly seasoned. Derp added in a lot of chilli powder and oil because he loves his ramen spicy! $11.90 for this ramen and gyoza is a good deal isn't it? :) 

My Friday date :)


Osaka Ohsho 
#03-09, Westgate, 3 Gateway Drive

We walked around Westgate after our dinner and spotted this reindeer on display! There's quite a lot of reindeer at different malls this year. 


And not forgetting to mention, the Isetan Supermarket at Westgate is heaven! It's just like the one at Taka basement. :) 

With the opening of Westgate, I guessed there's really not much of a need to head to town area to get your stuff if you're staying in the west. 

Ending this post with the xmas carebears I saw in Bishan Junction 8! 


No comments :

Post a Comment