Thursday, May 23, 2013

Gaining Knowledge on Interior Design...

Although Derp and I are both engineers, that doesn't mean that We know anything about interior design. We might have took art related modules (drawing, painting, playing with colors, 3D modelling) during our course of study in university but seriously when it comes down to interior design, materials, flooring and etc, We are quite clueless. University should consider incorporating this type of compulsory module to prepare undergraduates for their family planning, at least the basis of it.(Government are promoting young couples to get married, aren't they?) 

Between holding a wedding and renovating your house, both may be important, but I think renovating your house need more knowledge and effort. After all, you'll be staying in the house for at least the next 5 years or so. No matter how simple your house might end up be, you'll need to choose the correct materials and etc if not it will cause you a big headache in future.

I bought a Ikea cupboard at the end of last year, fix it up and it has been giving me a lot of problems! I suspect it's due to the moisture level in my Ikea wood cupboard, (my house is hardly being aired, thus causing the moist in the cupboard) bugs start forming inside the wood which eat up the wood. The cupboard costs less than $100 bucks. It's cheap but maybe that's why it's in this lousy state now.

When I opened my cupboard to take stuff, there's a layer of wood dust forming on my stuff. I bought one expensive insect repellent from NTUC Xtra 24 hours for all this type of bugs hoping that it works. It did killed a lot of  bugs, all dying inside my cupboard after spraying. BUT now it start forming again! FML TTM! 

This would means I got to clear my cupboard again and then spray the expensive repellent and put back my stuff again. It's never ending! Mold have started forming on the wood. Derp's mum complained to us about Ikea wood prone to mold before and now it happened to my cupboard. Ikea stuff might be of reasonable price but you got to make sure your home is airy enough. If not, get ready for bugs infestation or mold forming.

I asked Derp whether does he still have the photos of my horrible cupboard, but he deleted it. However, he  kept the video. Here it is, its quite eewww so if you can't take it, don't press the play button. Don't say I never warn you!


Don't you think that all these bugs ER XIN TO THE MAX??


So instead of buying bridal magazine(I know I should start to think about it, but fret not I've shortlisted them in my mind, just waiting for the time to execute. Not like the bridal studio will run away, or the gown available now is nicer than those in time to come), I went to borrow 1 book on interior design. I'm not being ambitious but just 1 book. hehe.

It's not that easy to find a interior design book that you like because design this thing is really very subjective. One may think this design is nice but not the others. I don't wish to be reading a interior design book filled with words because that will bored the hell out of me.I may have decorated and designed my own room since I moved in this house at the age of 13, but now I'm talking about WHOLE HOUSE. I've no idea where to start from but I guess got to slowly work on it part by part.

Practial Ideas for Small Spaces - The book I borrowed from library.



I bought this magazine from Popular - key to your home


I think this magazine is quite useful and it provides all the different concepts offer by various IDs in Singapore. I didn't know it comes with a extra small brochure of my favourite ID. So much of a coincidence. Seriously, I doubt I got the $$ to hire them but I'll definitely use their concepts and incorporate into my future home design.

I'll constantly update this space with ideas when I come across ideas which are practical and useful for everyone who's getting their house soon or waiting for their house. It's always good to start pumping yourself with knowledge because I've come to realise Interior Design, these 2 words is a very broad topic especially to those who do not specialize in this field.

Much more work need to be done, but I'm looking forward to how my house will turn out to be and at the same time working hard towards it :):)

No comments :

Post a Comment